Dr M: Up to Syed Zainal Abidin whether to stay as Proton MD
KUALA LUMPUR, April 16 — Proton managing director Datuk Seri Syed Zainal Abidin Syed Mohamed Tahir has to decide whether to stay on following DRB Hicom’s takeover of the carmaker, Tun Dr Mahathir Mohamad said today.
This comes after Proton denied reports last week that Syed Zainal Abidin (picture) had resigned.
“Syed Zainal is still CEO but of course he might not want to continue,” Dr Mahathir, who is Proton adviser, told reporters on the sidelines of a strategy conference here today.
“It is his choice. It is not a question of sacking but it is a question of agreement among them as to how best to deal with the problem of redundancy. If he is not there, obviously they have to find somebody else.”
The Edge Financial Daily last week quoted sources saying that Syed Zainal Abidin had quit but DRB Hicom issued a statement the same day saying Syed Zainal Abidin was still managing director, and that his services were still required.