Johor MCA deputy chief to meet family members of deceased over relocation of graves
JOHOR BAHARU, Aug 19 — Efforts to locate and meet the family members of the over 3,000 Chinese graves in Pengerang would start after Hari Raya, said Johor MCA deputy chairman Datuk Hoo Seong Chang.
Hoo, who was tasked by MCA president Datuk Seri Dr Chua Soi Lek to look into the matter, said he would have to meet with the state government about the matter first.
This was because the state government has its own ongoing mechanism on the relocation of the graveyards and dwellers there, he said.
"We will have to study and understand the mechanism to determine where and when is the right time for me to intervene," he told reporters at Johor Menteri Besar Datuk Abdul Ghani Othman’s Hari Raya open house here today.
The graves were to be relocated to make way for the Refinery and Petrochemical Integrated Development (RAPID).
He said that registration of the family members of the deceased would take time because while some were still staying in Pengerang, many had moved out to other districts and states.
Hoo said he would also seek the approval and advice from graveyard associations before doing so.
"Hopefully, the family members will be willing to cooperate with us," he said.
Previously, some 11,000 Muslim graves were relocated to make way for the RM60 billion RAPID project.
The authorities plan to move some 3,000 Chinese graves and another 1,000 Muslim graves soon.
Kota Tinggi police have received over 100 reports from Pengerang residents, fishermen and contractors pertaining to the relocation of the graves.
A group of residents was said to have held a protest at the graveyards in conjunction with the lunar ghost month by spending a night there in tents last night. — Bernama