90-10 matching grant to maintain public low-cost flats
ALOR STAR, May 11 — The management body of public low-cost flats across the country can now apply for an allocation through the 90-10 matching grant to pay for repair work and maintenance of the flats.
Housing and Local Government Minister Datuk Seri Chor Chee Heung (picture) said through the grant, 90 per cent of the maintenance cost would be borne by the federal government, while the other 10 per cent by the management body of the flats, state governments or local authorities.
“Prior to this, we have approved a 50-50 matching grant, but then we found out that it was not easy for the management body of those flats to bear 50 per cent of the cost, so we changed it to 90-10.
“The government does not want to bear 100 per cent of the cost because we want the residents to have a sense of responsibility for their housing areas as they are also contributing to the cost even if it’s not that much,” he told reporters after opening a road safety campaign at the Simpang Kuala flats here today.
The minister said during the implementation of the 50-50 matching grant, only 30 blocks of public low-cost flats nationwide had applied for the allocation.
Chor said after taken into account the situation, the ministry had requested for the percentage to be increased and it was approved by the Cabinet two weeks ago.
He said the construction of public low-cost housing on state government-owned land was fully funded by the federal government, hence the cost for maintenance and repair should be borne by the state government.
“However, we understand that state governments might not have much money for the purpose. That’s why we introduced this grant. Now, the management body of public low-cost flats can apply and ask the state government to estimate the required amount,” he said. — Bernama