Malaysia

A-G not going after MACC trio in Teoh death

By Yow Hong Chieh
October 24, 2011

Nazri said action would be taken if new evidence surfaced. — File picNazri said action would be taken if new evidence surfaced. — File picKUALA LUMPUR, Oct 24 — The Attorney-General (A-G) is not pursuing legal action against the anti-graft officers who drove Teoh Beng Hock to suicide as no police report has been lodged over the matter, Datuk Seri Nazri Aziz said today.

The de facto law minister said the A-G was not compelled to prosecute any of the three Malaysian Anti-Corruption Commission (MACC) officers implicated in the political aide’s death due to the lack of investigative evidence and witness accounts.

But the minister in the Prime Minister’s Department gave his assurance that the A-G would take action if any evidence or testimony surfaced.

He was responding to Puchong MP Gobind Singh Deo, lawyer for the Teoh family, while winding up for the Prime Minister’s Department.

Nazri also said the MACC probe into the three officers by a special investigative team was still ongoing.

“If it’s proven that there were offences and procedural breaches, suitable disciplinary action will be taken against them,” he said.

He added that the investigative team would need more time before it could make its recommendation to the MACC disciplinary committee.

Teoh, political aide to Seri Kembangan assemblyman Ean Yong Hian Wah, was found dead on July 16, 2009 on the fifth-floor corridor of Selangor MACC’s office in Shah Alam after overnight questioning.

The Royal Commission of Inquiry (RCI) into his death found that Teoh had been driven to suicide after harsh, relentless questioning from MACC officers.