Anwar says no comment on new video claims
KUALA LUMPUR, Sept 19 — Datuk Seri Anwar Ibrahim refused to comment on new video evidence which allegedly shows the opposition leader using an apartment lift at the location where he was accused of patronising a foreign prostitute.
“Any issues regarding morality, alcohol, gambling, vice, cruelty, slander or saying (about) a bad character of a person I will not entertain, and refuse to answer,” Anwar said bluntly before leaving the High Court today.
The new video clip, which shows Anwar (picture) entering a lift at an apartment building where a sex video allegedly of the opposition leader and a prostitute is said to have been secretly recorded, was released over the weekend by a pro-Umno blog.
The full-colour excerpt, published on the Papagomo blog, showed closed-circuit television (CCTV) footage of Anwar entering the apartment building elevator accompanied by businessman Shazryl Eskay Abdullah, who has alleged that he was with the PKR de facto leader on the day of the incident.
In the edited video composed of shots taken from several cameras throughout the building, Anwar, clad in a purple shirt, is seen entering and exiting the lift with a black-suited Shazryl Eskay.
The timestamp showed they entered the lift at 10.09pm and exited at 10.52pm on February 21, the same date that Anwar was alleged to have had sex with a prostitute from China, as revealed by the “Datuk T” trio in the form of a video on March 21.
The black-and-white sex video was then widely disseminated on Umno blogs following a closed-door screening to the media at the swanky Carcosa Seri Negara Hotel in the capital.
On June 24, the “Datuk T” trio — former Malacca Chief Minister Tan Sri Abdul Rahim Thamby Chik , former Perkasa treasurer-general Datuk Shuib Lazim and Shazryl Eskay — admitted to screening the sex video and were fined a total of RM5,500 by magistrate Aizatul Akmal Maharani.
Anwar had previously denied that he had “disappeared” from cyberspace during the time period in question and had reiterated that he was not the man in the video.
He lodged a police report on March 22, the day after the first video was screened to the media by the “Datuk T” trio.