Bersih apology unnecessary, says Syed Hamid
KUALA LUMPUR, July 24 — Putrajaya does not need to apologise to Bersih as Datuk Seri Hishammuddin Hussein was just exercising his power as home minister when outlawing the electoral reforms group, his predecessor Tan Sri Syed Hamid Albar said today.
A Kuala Lumpur High Court today quashed last year’s order outlawing Bersih before its second rally on July 9, 2011.
“What happened clearly showed that our judiciary is independent. The Minister was exercising his power when he declared Bersih illegal,” Syed Hamid (picture) said when commenting on the issue today.
He expressed confidence that Hishammuddin had exercised his power correctly after addressing all the issues surrounding his final decision.
“As this is an exercise of his administrative powers without malice or mala fide but for the nation’s interest to maintain law and order, there is no necessity for the government to apologise,” he added.
But Syed Hamid said the government should be more prudent and exercise greater care before making such a decision for the sake of its credibility.
In her ruling today, High Court judge Datuk Rohana Yusof said the coalition of civil societies known as Bersih 2.0, though not officially registered, can be considered a society under the Societies Act.