Dr M: Pakatan fears defeat, plotting revolution
KUALA LUMPUR, May 6 — Former premier Tun Dr Mahathir Mohamad today accused Pakatan Rakyat (PR) of conspiring to overthrow the government through violent demonstrations as it is unlikely to win at the ballot box, Bernama Online reported.
“If they lose again this time (the 13th general election), they are prepared to create chaos through protest demonstrations and making claims that the ruling government cheats to enable (Barisan Nasional) to win. This is their approach now,” Dr Mahathir was quoted as saying by the state news agency.
The ex-premier added that the opposition was growing desperate after 55 years of failure to capture the seat of government and would resort to any means to wrest control.
Dr Mahathir then suggested that such attempts could be foiled by giving the BN government a strong mandate during the next polls.
“If the government is weak, it will not be able to administer well like now and perhaps be brought down by the people,” he said in Alor Setar today.
Prime Minister Datuk Seri Najib Razak on Friday asserted that the rally for free and fair elections was an attempt to oust the country’s duly-elected government, a claim that was later echoed by Dr Mahathir.
Prior to this, he had also accused Opposition Leader Datuk Seri Anwar Ibrahim of conspiring with foreign elements to implement a “regime change” in Malaysia.
“Since the time I was prime minister, he has been regarded by the US as the Malaysian PM and he himself had invited US Congressmen here,” Dr Mahathir said today.
“I know that several (non-governmental organisations) in this country also receive funding from certain bodies in the US and other countries. They give money to achieve their agenda, not ours,” he added, in possible reference to the Bersih electoral reforms movement.
Police are now investigating the April 28 Bersih 3.0 rally, which turned chaotic after police began firing tear gas and water cannons to disperse demonstrators, as a possible attempt to usurp the government through violent demonstrations.
Despite an initially peaceful start to the rally, Bersih’s third since 2007, police would later take measures that are now being condemned as more brutal than those employed during last year’s tumultuous July 11 Bersih 2.0 rally.