Four more sought over arson attack in Johor
JOHOR BARU, Sept 19 — Police have identified four more people who were believed to have hurled Molotov cocktails at the homes of Customs officers in Taman Pelangi and Taman Sri Pulai Perdana, here, last week.
Johor deputy police chief Datuk Ismail Yatim said police believed the four, who were in their 30s, were masterminds in smuggling activities in the state.
“Personal details such the as age, name and photograph of the suspects will be distributed soon. If they fail to show up to help in investigation, we will publish them in the media,” he told reporters after the monthly gathering at the Johor Contingent Police Headquarters, here, today.
Ismail said investigation on the incident was conducted from various angles under Section 436 of the Penal Code.
He said a 38-year-old man was detained around Gelang Patah, here, at 4am, on September 13, who was believed to be able to help investigation into the case, had been freed on police bail.
In the incident at 4am, in Jalan Biru, Taman Pelangi, on September 12, the front portions of two houses of Customs officers, and a car belonging to one of them, were burnt after Molotov cocktails were thrown at them.
One of the Customs officers, state deputy director Ahmad Hassan, 54, died of a heart attack when saving his car from the fire.
A similar incident happened to the residence of another Customs officer in Taman Sri Pulai Perdana, at about 4am the same morning, believed to have been carried by a group of men in a car. — Bernama