Malaysia

Four passengers not onboard MH370 replaced by standby passengers

Azharuddin reversing earlier statements about the passengers who did not board the plane at the media conference at Sama-Sama Hotel today. Earlier he mentioned that five passengers had failed to board and their bags were all removed from the plane before take-off, which MAS group chief executive officer Ahmad Jauhari Yahya later clarified were replaced by four standby passengers. – The Malaysian Insider pic by Afif Abd Halim, 12 March, 2014.Azharuddin reversing earlier statements about the passengers who did not board the plane at the media conference at Sama-Sama Hotel today. Earlier he mentioned that five passengers had failed to board and their bags were all removed from the plane before take-off, which MAS group chief executive officer Ahmad Jauhari Yahya later clarified were replaced by four standby passengers. – The Malaysian Insider pic by Afif Abd Halim, 12 March, 2014.The mystery behind the four passengers who checked in but did not board the Malaysia Airlines (MAS) flight MH 370 was finally “cleared” after it was revealed that four standby passengers had taken their seats.

Following a barrage of questions on the matter, MAS group chief executive officer Ahmad Jauhari Yahya said of the 227 passengers, four who had bought tickets did not turn up to catch the flight to Beijing at the Kuala Lumpur International Airport (KLIA).

Their places were taken by four people, who were standby passengers, he explained.

He, however did not reveal more about the four passengers.

It was earlier reported that five people did not board the plane after checking in but yesterday, Inspector-General of Police Tan Sri Khalid Abu Bakar told reporters that every person who had booked a ticket for the flight had boarded the plane.

He maintained that that is what the police found in their investigations.

"Let me make it simple, everyone who was supposed to be onboard, was on the flight," Khalid was quoted as saying yesterday.

Khalid's statement caused confusion as the Department of Civil Aviation (DCA) had earlier claimed that four passengers did not get on the plane.

DCA director-general Datuk Azharuddin Abdul Rahman told reporters that the five had failed to board and their bags were all removed from the plane, as per the SOP, before take-off.

He said only one woman did not get onboard as she had call MAS to cancel her booking.

Flight MH370 flew from KLIA with 227 passengers of 14 nationalities and an all-Malaysian crew of 12 onboard. It never reached its destination, Beijing.

The fate of the plane and its passengers remains unknown. – March 12, 2014.

Comments