Hauliers strike has cost RM50m, says ACCIM
KUALA LUMPUR, May 9 — The Association Chinese Chambers of Commerce and Industry of Malaysia (ACCCIM) members have incurred losses of over RM50 million following the strike by haulage drivers recently at Port Klang.
Deputy president Datuk Lim Kok Cheong said the unprecedented incident had a negative impact on its members especially those involved in the export and import business.
He hoped relevant authorities would take immediate action to remedy problem, which was causing irreparable damage to the country’s image and economy.
“We estimated that our members have suffered losses of over RM50 million due to the strike by haulage drivers,” he told reporters.
Last week, Transport Minister Datuk Seri Kong Cho Ha said the government was resolving the dissatisfaction shown by container lorry drivers against depot operators in Port Klang and hoped they would resume services soon.
“The ministry’s secretary-general and senior officials held a meeting on April 30 with the depot management to find a solution.
“Nonetheless, it will take time considering the Klang Municipal Council is the local authority responsible for issuing licences to depot operators while the container lorry drivers are under the supervision of the Land Public Transport Commission,” he said.
More than 2,000 container lorry drivers went on strike for more than 24 hours since May 2, disgruntled over the hike in charges imposed on them by depot owners for sending and collecting containers to and from the port. — Bernama