KUALA LUMPUR, May 5 — Highway concessionaires have submitted suggestions to the Works Ministry on ways to ease the burden of tolls on consumers.
These include removing or reducing toll charges on some highways and not raising the rate on other highways for a certain period, said its minister Datuk Seri Shaziman Abu Mansor.
“Some tolls will be done away with while others will not have hikes for a specific period if the proposals are accepted.
“However, let us study the suggestions first. But, as I have said, the concession companies need to find ways to help the people and government without incurring losses themselves as they need to be responsible to their shareholders too,” he was quoted by Bernama as saying in Tampin today.
He however did not name the concessionaires.
All the suggestions had been submitted to the Malaysian Highway Authority for evaluation and would be discussed at the National Economic Action Council soon before the Cabinet was informed, said the report.
“The government may consider giving a reasonable amount in compensation to highway concessionaires to avoid toll hikes,” he was quoted as saying.
“Some of the concessionaires submitted good suggestions, and all should be considered, seeing Prime Minister Datuk Seri Najib Razak has directed the Cabinet to find ways to ease the burden of the people,” he said.
The government has abolished or reduced toll rates on several highways since 2009.