Himpunan Hijau failed to give notice of rally, police say
PETALING JAYA, Nov 25 — The organiser of the Himpunan Hijau protesting against the operation of the Lynas factory in Gebeng, Pahang, did not inform the police about holding the gathering at Dataran Merdeka.
Deputy Inspector-General of Police Tan Sri Khalid Abu Bakar said the gathering had also failed to obtain approval from the Kuala Lumpur City Hall (DBKL) to use Dataran Merdeka as its main venue for the gathering.
“The law is clear about requirements under the Peaceful Assembly Act, that those intending to hold a gathering must get the permission of the owner of the venue, and also give notice to the police, 10 days before the gathering takes place... but they did not.
“We have contacted the organisers, tried to negotiate with them, but they did not respond,” he said at a press conference after launching a Crime Awareness campaign, jointly organised with the Malaysian Crime Prevention Foundation (MCPF), Subang Jaya Municipal Council (MPSJ) and Subang Jaya residents here today.
He said, the gathering, which required anti-Lynas supporters to walk from Kuantan to the national capital, was a road protest that was against the law.
On the authorities’ next course of action if the anti-Lynas supporters insisted on entering Dataran Merdeka, Khalid said it would depend on a directive from DBKL.
Meanwhile, he said, the “My Distress” system, an emergency signal which was introduced by the Selangor police in August last year, would be expanded nationwide, following its success in preventing crime.
The system used an emergency signal delivery application by pressing an icon on a smart phone, and was equipped with global positioning system that enabled the police to detect the individual sending the signal. — Bernama