Hisham says did not free 12 ISA detainees due to pressure
SUNGAI BULOH, Aug 17 ― Home Minister Datuk Seri Hishammuddin Hussein said the government was satisfied that the 12 individuals released under the defunct Internal Security Act (ISA) today no longer posed a threat to national security.
Speaking after a one hour visit to the Sungai Buloh prison here today, he said today’s number did not include the three people – a local, and a Pakistani and Sri Lankan – who were released earlier at the start of Ramadan.
The 12 individuals had been involved in human trafficking and terrorism, he added.
“They comprised seven locals, three Indonesians and two Pakistanis. They were released after the government felt they had repented as a result of undergoing a comprehensive rehabilitation process,” he said.
“The decision was not based on political pressure but made after due consideration and study of security aspects.
“This shows the government doesn’t act on political considerations or emotional demands but strikes a balance between national interest and security, and the rights of an individual,” said Hishammuddin.
Commenting on the 11 locals and 19 foreigners still in detention, he said the government needed to scrutinise the matter before making a decision on them.
A total of 25 individuals have been released since the enforcement of the Security Offences (Special Measures) Act 2012, on July 31. — Bernama