July 18 submissions for Baharudin inquest
KUALA LUMPUR, June 27 — The Coroner’s Court here today set July 18 to hear submissions on the inquest into taxi driver Baharudin Ahmad’s cause of death during the July 9 Bersih rally last year.
Thirty-five witnesses testified during the inquest before Coroner Zulkpli Abdullah, which commenced on January 30.
In proceedings earlier today, the 35th and last witness, PAS Youth chief, Nasrudin Hassan Tantawi (picture) told the court that Kuala Lumpur City Centre (KLCC) was not a designated shelter for the assembly but was turned into an impromptu gathering place by participants avoiding areas that had been cordoned off.
“We were supposed to march from Sogo towards Dataran Merdeka but had to find a safe spot as Dataran Merdeka had been cordoned off,” he said in response to Ahmad Jufliz Faiza, Baharudin’s family lawyer.
Nasrudin said he did not wear a yellow T-shirt that day in order to avoid drawing the attention of the authorities.
Questioned by Deputy Public Prosecutor Ahmad Ishrakh Saad on his name being included in the list of individuals banned from the illegal assembly, Nasrudin replied that he knew nothing of the matter.
“I didn’t receive a letter or warning from the police on the matter,” he said. — Bernama