Malaysia

KL taps set to flow again soon, says minister

January 14, 2013

PUTRAJAYA, Jan 14 — The water supply disruption in Kuala Lumpur has begun to recover after the installation of the bypass pipe by Syarikat Bekalan Air Selangor Sdn Bhd (SYABAS) was completed at 4am yesterday.

Energy, Green Technology and Water Minister Datuk Seri Peter Chin Fah Kui (picture) said the water supply to the affected areas in Gombak had been 100 per cent restored, while in Kuala Lumpur, 85 per cent.

“The remaining areas which are still experiencing water supply disruption are houses on higher ground such as in Taman Shamelin and Bandar Sri Permaisuri.

“This is due to the steep rise in the demand of water in the newly recovered areas as the residents are still keen on storing as much water as possible for fear that the disruption would recur.

“The water supply to houses in the higher ground, however, is expected to be fully restored by later tonight,” he said in a statement here today.

Chin said to avoid recurrence of the incident, the National Water Service Commission had been instructed to study the proposal to upgrade the existing Wangsa Maju pump house, while waiting for the construction of the new pump house in the area to be completed in 2015.

He also called on the consumers in Selangor, Kuala Lumpur and Putrajaya to alleviate the burden of residents on Gombak, Cheras and Pandan by reducing their water consumption.

“This way, the water supply saved can be channelled to the affected areas,” he said.

The minister also expressed appreciation to the relevant quarters including 950 SYABAS personnel involved in ensuring that the water supply be restored as soon as possible and in distributing water through tanker lorries to the residents in the affected areas.

The appreciation is also given to Johor, Kedah, Perak, Malacca, Penang and Negeri Sembilan water companies, Public Works Department, Ampang Jaya Municipal Council and Petaling Jaya City Council for lending their tanker lorries and staff, as well as Selangor government that has supported the federal government’s efforts to restore the water supply to the affected areas, he said.

In Kuantan, Pahang Mentri Besar Datuk Seri Adnan Yaakob said only Chin had the final say on the agreement about the raw water transfer project from Pahang to Selangor.

He said under the agreement, any decision, including to scrap the Langat 2 Water Treatment Plant project, could only be made by the minister.

“Basically, the state government cannot make any decision on the agreement as it is the prerogative of the minister.

“However, the price of 10 sen per cubic metre offered by Pahang will probably be raised if the Selangor government still dilly-dallying in giving their approval because under the agreement, the price can be raised in every five years,” he told reporters here today.

Commenting on the water disruption in several areas in Selangor, Adnan said the people should know by now that only the Barisan Nasional government could solve their problems.

If the Selangor government had not been dilly-dallying in giving their approval, the water transfer project would have proceed and the residents would not have to face water woes like this, he added.

In Shah Alam, the Malay Economic Consultative Council today called on the Selangor government to solve the water woes immediately.

Its honorary secretary, Halim Mohamad, said this was because the council had been deluged with complaints from local traders in Selangor and Kuala Lumpur who had been facing difficulties to operate their businesses due to the water supply disruption.

“Although the problem has yet to reach the worrying stage, we want to ensure that it will not prolong,” he told a press conference.

Meanwhile, according to the statement issued by the Press Secretariat of the Selangor Mentri Besar’s Office today, the state government would release latest information on efforts done to restore the water supply in the Klang Valley through several mainstream newspapers.

The information will include results of daily monitoring activity and meetings between Selangor Water Supply Monitoring Committee and SYABAS, local authorities and other relevant agencies.

“The information will enable the public to learn the latest development in the efforts to restore water supply to over 28,000 affected residents in the state,” the statement said. — Bernama