KL top cop says ‘901’ bombs expertly made
KUALA LUMPUR, Jan 12 — Three bombs that blew up and hurt five people during Monday’s “Free Anwar” rally were created by those knowledgeable about explosives, city police chief Datuk Mohamad Salleh said today.
He told reporters the police came to the conclusion based on the devices such as alarm clocks, nine-volt batteries and PVC pipe found at the scene
“We believe the bombs were placed and detonated to create chaos and panic among the crowd gathered there,” he was quoted as saying today by English-language daily The Star.
Mohamad was previously reported saying, “The explosives were home-made devices with timers. Ball bearings, batteries and wires were found at the scene.”
The explosives were believed to have been planted in three traffic cones outside the courthouse.
Five men were slightly injured in three small blasts outside the Jalan Duta court complex here on Monday, right after Opposition leader Datuk Seri Anwar Ibrahim was acquitted of a charge of sodomy.
The first explosion happened as Anwar was leaving the court compound. Minutes later, a second explosion blew apart an orange traffic cone near a sub-power station, about 50 metres away from the courthouse gates.
The third and last blast happened at the hawker centre round the corner from the court complex.
Police dogs were brought in to sniff out if there were other explosives planted elsewhere in the area, but found no other such devices.
At today’s news conference, Mohamad warned the public against speculating about the identity of those involved or the motive behind the incident.
He also dismissed an Utusan Malaysia news report citing an anonymous police official saying the explosives were brought in by rally demonstrators published yesterday as “mere media speculation.”
“I urge members of the public to not circulate such news as it will cause uneasiness,” he added.