Malaysia

KSSB says CEO breached rules, could be sacked

IJOK, Feb 1 — Selangor subsidiary Kumpulan Semesta Sdn Bhd’s chief executive was found guilty of procedural breach by a domestic inquiry that was launched after complaints of power abuse were lodged against him, Mentri Besar Tan Sri Abdul Khalid Ibrahim revealed today.

Khalid (picture) refused to state if Wan Ab Halim Wan Ismail would be sacked, saying only that the KSSB board of directors had earlier this month told its CEO to explain himself before the inquiry that began late last year.

The mentri besar refused to divulge details of Wan Ab Halim’s alleged wrongdoings but said KSSB had sufficient proof to justify its probe.

“He was told to explain himself. But he can also choose not to and go to the Industrial Court to seek a solution on his appointment status at KSSB,” Khalid told The Malaysian Insider here.

Malay paper Sinar Harian published today, on its front page, news quoting unnamed sources as saying Wan Ab Halim’s contract had been terminated earlier this year.

The report went on to say that the sacking signalled a management crisis within the state subsidiary which had also been implicated in a sand mining scandal that had threatened to dent support for the Pakatan Rakyat administration.

It also pointed out that the sacking was “baffling” since Wan Ab Halim’s contract had been recently extended by the Selangor mentri besar himself.

Khalid denied there was any management turmoil in KSSB. He also said his purported close friendship with Wan Ab Halim does not affect the inquiry nor would it have an impact on the state’s future decisions.

“I am a professional. People may be close to me but wrong is wrong. I am also close to the people,” said the PKR leader.

Earlier today, Khalid’s political secretary Faekah Hussin said the inquiry was launched after internal complaints were lodged against Wan Ab Halim.

She added that Khalid had also given the KSSB board full power to decide how to deal with the problems faced by its CEO.

“Khalid said that the ball was not in his court so he said the Semesta board should decide,” she told The Malaysian Insider.

Comments