Ku Li says backs Bersih 3.0
KUALA LUMPUR, April 11 — Umno veteran Tengku Razaleigh Hamzah says he backs Bersih 3.0 as its call for fair elections was one shared by Amanah, Harakah Daily reported today.
The Kelantan prince, popularly known as Ku Li, pointed out that demands made by Bersih for freer media and a stop to the use of civil service for electioneering was in line with the NGO he heads.
"It's in line with the demands of Amanah. And so I leave it up to Amanah members to decide if they wish to attend the rally on April 28," the PAS organ quoted him as saying at a forum in his home state last night.
Also present were for Kelantan Umno Youth chief Dr Zayadi Awang Noh, who is now Kelantan Amanah chairman, and Umno veterans Datuk Mazlan Harun and Tamrin Ghaffar.
Tengku Razaleigh, however, declined to say if he would be attending the rally when asked by a member of the audience at the Kelantan Trade Centre.
Dr Zayadi, who was removed as Umno executive councillor follow Datuk Seri Anwar Ibrahim's sacking from the party, added that there was no reason not to support Bersih 3.0.
Election watchdog Bersih announced last week it plans to hold a third rally for free and fair elections on April 28 to protest against lagging reforms, as mooted by the recently concluded parliamentary select committee for electoral reforms.
Bersih's rally last July 9 turned chaotic following a widespread crackdown by the authorities, who deployed large teams of riot police armed with tear gas and water cannon to disperse protesters.
The group has set its sights on holding the upcoming rally at Dataran Merdeka and has agreed to seek Kuala Lumpur City Hall's (DBKL) permission to use the historic venue.
Putrajaya has given a green light to the sit-in protest, with Home Minister Datuk Seri Hishammuddin Hussein saying the rally can proceed as long as all matters pertaining to the venue can be resolved.