No decision yet on Malaysians detained in Beirut
KUALA LUMPUR, Jan 16 — The judge hearing the case of two Malaysians detained last year in Beirut, Lebanon on alleged links with the Al-Qaeda terrorist movement, is undecided whether to drop the charges or make them stand trial in a military tribunal.
The foreign ministry said in a statement here today, Malaysia respected the laws of Lebanon and would cooperate with the authorities there vis-a-vis the case.
The statement said officials from the Malaysian Embassy had met the two men regularly and attended to their consular needs, adding that the duo informed the embassy they were treated well.
The Malaysian mission in Beirut was closely monitoring the case and would inform the ministry, once a decision was made, said the statement.
On October 18, Razif Mohd Ariff, 30, and Muhamad Razin Sharhan Mustafa Kamal, 21, were arrested in Beirut by the Lebanese authorities.
They pleaded not guilty when they were produced in the tribunal on October 25.
Razif and Muhamad Razin are defended by a four-man team of lawyers from a legal firm, paid for by their families.
They are currently in the custody of the General Security Authority of Lebanon. — Bernama