KUALA LUMPUR, April 5 — Two Kedah executive councillors who previously refused their reappointments over differences with Mentri Besar Datuk Seri Azizan Abdul Razak were today sworn in for a new term, The Star reported.
Datuk Phahrolrazi Zawawi and Dr Ismail Salleh were sworn in before the Sultan of Kedah’s Council of Regency chairman Datuk Seri Tunku Annuar Sultan Badlishah at Istana Anak Bukit in Alor Setar this morning.
Phahrolrazi will now oversee local government, water supply, water resources and power, while Ismail was appointed to non-governmental organisation, science and innovation, communication and information technology committee.
“It doesn’t matter what portfolios I got or whether I am still the senior exco member or not. Senior or not I will still serve the state as it is,” Phahrolrazi was quoted as saying by the newspaper today
Azizan, who was present during the ceremony, said today’s swearing-in showed that the men have put their disagreements behind them and will allow Kedah PAS to focus on the coming general election.
“These two men are my generals in state PAS and they will lead the party’s election battle. The different and the size of portfolios given to them does not mean that they are downgraded. They have an important role in the party for the next elections,” the mentri besar said in the report.
Earlier this month, PAS’s central leadership ordered Phahrolrazi and Ismail to rejoin the state’s executive council, calling an end to the ongoing administrative impasse in the PAS-led government.
The two had earlier refused their reappointments, citing disagreements with Azizan over a decision to hande over a project worth “several million ringgit” to an Umno-linked firm.
The party had also decided Azizan should proceed in his duties as Kedah mentri besar. It also activated a steering committee tasked to monitor and offer input to any PAS-led government or any entity to which its leaders are attached.