KUALA LUMPUR, Feb 22 — P. Balasubramaniam’s decision to return to Malaysia for good this weekend is spurred by the ex-investigator’s determination to help Pakatan Rakyat’s (PR) campaign to capture Putrajaya in Election 2013, his lawyer Americk Singh Sidhu said today.
The lawyer said Balasubramaniam or “PI Bala”, who became famous following his explosive revelations on the 2006 murder of Mongolian Altantuya Shaariibuu, had decided to come out of hiding and brave his return simply to participate in PR’s polls campaign.
“He wants to help campaign for the opposition,” Americk told The Malaysian Insider when asked for the reason behind the timing of Balasubramaniam’s sudden return.
“He wants to join in with the rest of the Malaysian society to ensure there is a change in government... a long overdue change,” he added.
In an exclusive email interview with news portal Malaysiakini carried today, Balasubramaniam (picture) confirmed plans to return for good this Sunday and was quoted as saying that he hoped PR achieves its Putrajaya dream in the next polls.
But Americk also raised concerns over Balasubramaniam’s safety, saying he hoped Immigration officials would not find cause to give any trouble to the man.
“They might deport him to Australia, though, won’t they?” the lawyer said in jest, referring to the recent expulsion of Australian Senator Nick Xenophon who was deported home last weekend for posing a “security risk” to Malaysia.
“But no, I should think there should be no problem. He (Balasubramaniam) is a Malaysian citizen, he has a Malaysian passport and he is just returning to his motherland.
“He is no criminal or a bankrupt, he is an ordinary citizen who has the right to be here,” he added.
Asked if there are fears over Balasubramaniam’s safety in public, Americk said there was no reason why the latter could not roam freely as he pleased.
“I don’t think anyone should attack him. He hasn’t hurt anybody,” he pointed out.
He confirmed that Balasubramaniam will arrive at the KL International Airport at 6pm on Sunday.
The former private investigator had first entered the public spotlight in 2008 for claims he made against top federal government personalities in his first statutory declaration (SD) on Altantuya’s brutal murder.
But when Balasubramaniam retracted the SD the following day and signed a new one where the names of these personalities were omitted, he found himself in an even deeper tangle, forcing him to flee the country.
A year later, in 2009, he reappeared in the limelight when he claimed that the second SD had been signed under duress and without his knowledge of its contents.
Balasubramaniam’s name again earned media attention recently following the emergence of Deepak Jaikishan, the controversial carpet dealer who was purportedly involved in the second SD.
Deepak has also gone public to reveal his role in the matter, admitting he had been involved in finding two lawyers to draft the second SD.
He named the lawyer, allegedly Tan Sri Cecil Abraham, during a recent interview with PAS organ Harakah, spurring the chain of events that has led to the Bar Council’s current investigation on whether the lawyer had committed professional misconduct by drafting the SD.
Earlier this month, council president Lim Chee Wee confirmed that Deepak had declined to help with the probe despite having unveiled the lawyer’s name.
“It is unfortunate that despite our request for assistance, Deepak Jaikishan has decided not to assist in the enquiries until after March 16, 2013 and that no one has stepped forward to assist us by disclosing the relevant facts regarding this issue,” Lim wrote in an email to The Malaysian Insider on February 4.
When contacted over the phone, Lim said that Deepak had said “he only wants to deal with the new Bar Council president” who will come into office this March 16.