Police propose inquest on Sugumaran’s case
SHAH ALAM, Jan 27 — Police will send their investigation papers on the death of C. Sugumaran, 39, to the Public Prosecutor proposing an open court inquest.
Selangor police chief Datuk A. Thaiveegan said the inquest was to ascertain the true cause of the victims' death during an incident in Taman Sri Nanding, Hulu Langat on Jan 23.
He said the case had been taken over by a special team from the Selangor police head quarters on Jan 25 and questioned 89 witnesses.
"We appeal to those who were at the location and saw any individuals using force, to come forward and help the police," he told reporters at the head quarters' media centre, today.
He also urged three individuals known as R. Mohanarajan, S. Sugunan and R. Wasanan who claimed to have seen the victim being beaten, on an online news portal, to contact the police urgently.
Anyone with relevant information may contact investigating officer ASP Burhanuddin Mustafa at 019-3829212/03-55145152 or call the nearest police station, he added.
"We hope the people who have information on this incident will tell the police. Some have claimed the victim was subjected to violence but until today no one has come forward to confirm it," he said.
Last Wednesday, Sugumaran, who was believed to be mentally unstable, went on a rampage and damaged public property with an iron rod.
Media reports had stated that he had been aggressive when police tried to detain him, and had suddenly collapsed and died enroute to the hospital. — Bernama