The Selangor government said today that it was forced to start acting on the water crisis in the state by rationing it, after Syarikat Bekalan Air Selangor (Syabas) had failed to address the issue.
Menteri Besar Tan Sri Abdul Khalid Ibrahim (pic) said the state government was informed that Syabas had refused to come up with a plan for water rationing and has left the responsibility to the state.
"The water rationing was supposed to have been implemented last week by Syabas through the Emergency Action Plan so that consumers can make early preparation.
"In relation to that, the state government has ordered the State Economic Planning Unit and the National Water Services Commission to discuss ways for us to manage Syabas," he said in a statement.
He said water rationing, which begins tomorrow in some parts of Selangor, is expected to go on until the end of March if the hot weather continues, as predicted by the Meteorological Department.
"All local councils have been ordered to be pro-active in helping the people who will be affected, while the council investment officers have to monitor their respective industries to ensure that this scheduling will have a minimum impact on factories."
Khalid said the state had to resort to such an action to make sure that the water in the dams do not run out before the end of March.
"The Selangor Water Management Board has noted that the water supply in Selangor is at a critical stage as the water level in several dams has decreased and reached worrying levels," he added.
The reduction will be done in four stages, that is 7% at the first stage, 10% (second), 15% (third) and 20% (fourth).
Khalid had earlier today said water rationing will see affected residents go without water for two days and receive supply for two days. He said Syabas tankers and static tankers would be sent to affected areas. - February 24, 2014.