Tanjong Tokong villagers get new homes in UDA redevelopment
KUALA LUMPUR, June 15 — The 197 Tanjong Tokong families have agreed to a RM165 million settlement with UDA Holdings after four years of talks, allowing the latter to carry out redevelopment of the Penang village that has been delayed for four decades.
The government agency tasked with giving Malays a bigger stake in the urban economy said in a statement today the families will sign a settlement agreement tomorrow which will see 1,200 new flats worth up to RM240,000 each being handed over to the residents.
“UDA Holdings is committed to complete the homes in four years. Once it is completed, the residents involved will have more comfortable, secure and high quality homes,” UDA chairman Datuk Nur Jazlan Mohamed (picture) said.
The 10 blocks of 800 and 650 square feet flats have a total value of RM165 million, according to UDA.
UDA was tasked with redeveloping the area by then Prime Minister Tun Abdul Razak Hussein in 1972 but negotiations between the various stakeholders including the state government have failed to reach a consensus.
Pulai MP Nur Jazlan has previously said that the pledge of new homes was “proof of UDA’s efforts to protect the rights of Bumiputeras” despite some Tanjong Tokong residents opposing the redevelopment plans.
Tanjong Tokong residents have demanded the federal government give RM300 million to redevelop the more than 250-year-old traditional village in an impasse reminiscent of efforts to redevelop Kampung Baru, the 111-year-old Malay enclave just a stone’s throw from the Petronas Twin Towers here.
Pakatan Rakyat has been quick to capitalise on the growing anger of residents unhappy with the Najib administration’s plans to develop the area into an icon of Malay ownership in the heart of Kuala Lumpur.
Kampung Baru lies within the Titiwangsa federal constituency, which has always been an Umno fortress but fell to PAS in Election 2008.