Three Nayati kidnappers in the dock tomorrow
KUALA LUMPUR, May 21—Three of the seven kidnappers behind the abduction of schoolboy Nayati Shamelin Moodliar will be charged tomorrow, The Star reported on its website today.
According to the newspaper, the trio will be charged with abduction for ransom, under Section 3(1) of the Kidnapping Act 1961, and will face either death or life in prison if found guilty.
After confirming that the trio will be charged tomorrow, police said investigations on the remaining four suspects were ongoing.
Police previously revealed that all the kidnappers behind the 12-year-old’s abduction have been apprehended, except for the mastermind who absconded to Europe soon after the ransom was paid.
But KL CID chief Datuk Ku Chin Wah last week described the mastermind, a father of one, as an “amateur” kidnapper, and said police were expecting him to return to Malaysia “soon”.
Nayati was abducted in front of Mont Kiara International School here three weeks ago.
He was released on May 3 in Rawang, after the family paid the ransom.
The case had captured public imagination with posters of the boy appearing across the Klang Valley in various languages.
It was reported that Nayati, who was still in his school uniform, was abducted by two men in a black car on a short distance from his school.
The men were said to have grabbed the boy while he was walking to school, bundled him into the car and sped off.
It was later reported that the kidnappers had used social networking site Facebook to contact and negotiate with the parents.