Wee repeats assault claim, questions police’s ‘premature conclusion’
KUALA LUMPUR, March 27 — Datuk Dr Wee Ka Siong insisted today that there were attempts to assault him during Sunday’s rally in Kajang, saying the Selangor police had made a “premature conclusion” by claiming otherwise.
Expressing shock at the “assumption’, the deputy minister, who was chased off by a large mob of angry rally participants during the event, pointed out that there were even photographs showing that a newspaper being thrown in his direction.
“Is this considered a peaceful rally?” an upset-looking Wee (picture) told a press conference in Parliament here.
The MCA Youth chief was responding to media reports quoting Selangor police chief Datuk Tun Hisan Tun Hamzah as saying that his men could not confirm the assault.
The reports did not mention, however, if investigation into the incident had been concluded.
“I was shocked when I read the Selangor CPO’s statement. But I do not know if he was misquoted as I do not know what he told the press,” he said.
Wee added that it was unusual for the police to make a conclusion on an incident even before launching an investigation.
He pointed out that he had not even lodged a report as he had chosen to forgive his alleged assailants, saying that only after a report is lodged would the police usually conduct an investigation.
“I am confused as to why a premature conclusion was made without even an attempt to seek the information from the complainant, or the person who was said to be attacked,” he said.
Wee was chased out of the rally, organised by Dong Zong on Sunday, to protest the lack of Chinese school teachers.
After the 5,000-strong rally ended, an angry swarm of people chanted for him to resign and it was alleged someone attempted to punch him but it was prevented by a large security detail.
Earlier today, Pakatan Rakyat (PR) leaders demanded Wee apologise for trying to divert attention from Sunday’s rally on the shortage of Chinese school teachers to the alleged assault on him.
Speaking at a press conference in Parliament, Cheras MP Tan Kok Wai cited a news report quoting Tun Hisan as saying that his men could not confirm the assault on Wee.
“The statement by the CPO is simple. No attempted assault, nothing happened.
“Nobody suspected by anyone had hit or punched Wee.
“But as you are fully aware, Wee made the allegation twice — that the assailant tried to punch his left cheek,” he said.
Tan added that Wee, according to various media reports on the Sunday incident, had also alleged that his assailant was a PR supporter or member.
Despite this, the DAP leader added, Wee had refused yesterday to lodge a report into the incident, saying he had forgiven his alleged attacker.
“I think Wee needs to do something to clarify his innocence and conscience by making an allegation that he was almost assaulted” he said.
But Wee did not accede to PR’s demand for apology and added that he would not “flip-flop” on his decision to abstain from lodging a police report.