Perak still riddled with AGE, 251 new cases
IPOH, Feb 14 — Batang Padang and Hilir Perak districts reported 251 new cases of acute gastroenteritis (AGE), with 15 patients have been admitted at Tapah and Teluk Intan hospitals today.
Most of the new cases were recorded in Hilir Perak (180) said State Health Committee chairman Datuk Dr Mah Hang Soon, The Star reported.
His statement today stated that 3,068 persons have been afflicted by the disease so far, since its outbreak on January 27, broken down to 1,990 cases in Hilir Perak and 1,078in Batang Padang.
All the patients are in stable condition with no new deaths reported, according to Dr Mah.
Nine of patients been discharged from the stated hospitals today, he added.
Responding to a separate development, Dr Mah asserted that Pangkor Island had no connection with the chikungunya fever outbreak in Selangor’s Kuang, where students and lecturers from a private college tested positive for the disease.
All of them had just returned from a resort stay in Teluk Nipah. Dr Mah said there was no evidence they contracted the disease there, and checks by health authorities found no traces of chikungunya at any of the island’s resorts.
Dr Mah said as of the present, there are no chikungunya cases in the state.
Aedes mosquito are carriers of Chikungunya, along with dengue fever.
Chikungunya symptoms are fever, cough, head and body aches as well as joint pains.