My top 10 reasons for celebrating National Day
|Zan Azlee is a documentary filmmaker, journalist, writer, New Media practitioner and lecturer. He runs Fat Bidin Media www.fatbidin.com|
AUG 31 — I haven’t come up with a top 10 list in a long time. And seeing that it’s National Day, I thought it would be apt to do just that this week!
(It could also mean that I’m already in the long weekend mode and am just too lazy to write something lengthy!)
So here’s my top 10 for why I am happy to celebrate this National Day:
1. Aside from a bloody lip from having my camera pushed into my face by a policeman, I escaped physically unscathed from Bersih 3.0. But I can’t say much for my mental state after the event.
2. I now have full confidence in the strength of our police force. They are a really tough group and know how to fight!
3. After being eligible 13 years ago and witnessing three general elections in the country, I have finally registered to vote.
4. Malaysia looks set to join some of the best countries in Asia… as a destination for paedophile sex tourism. Malaysia Truly Asia!
5. Crime doesn’t exist in Malaysia. This must be due to the toughness of our police force.
6. If he sounds like a Malay, thinks like a Malay, and converts to Islam, he is Malay… even if he is Chinese.
7. Janji Dicapati
8. Everyone is guilty until proven innocent (as far as the Internet is concerned).
9. Sarawak women are awesome world-class divers!
10. All sorts of Malaysians gathered at Dataran Merdeka on the eve of National Day to demonstrate for democracy and clean elections without any untoward incidents. Everyone dispersed peacefully afterwards.
Happy National Day, everyone!
* The views expressed here are the personal opinion of the columnist.