What we dream of
JAN 3 — Dare we Malaysians dream that in 2012:
• Bersih 2.0’s eight demands will be implemented before Parliament is dissolved.
• the run-up to the elections will bring out the best in everyone and not the worst.
• we have free and fair elections run by an Election Commission which is empowered, independent and brooks no cheating.
• the selling of our country to foreigners for votes (as is widely believed to be happening) will be halted and punished as the highest treason.
• every single registered voter votes in the 13th general election.
• justice will be done in Sodomy II.
• our Christian friends (who are a minority in this country) will not continue to be the target of baseless attacks and humiliation by a few.
• the government will show some guts and leadership in dealing with those who spew racism and religious hatred (this is unlikely).
• some of our leaders will get treatment for schizophrenia and compulsive lying.
• many of our leaders will educate themselves to understand the following concepts:
a. conflict of interest.
b. human rights.
d. good governance.
e. telling the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth.
f. that it is wrong to rob from the rakyat.
g. that there is no such thing as “the government’s money” — it belongs to the rakyat.
• preserving our environment will take priority over making money (note Lynas).
• justice will be done for those who have lost their lives at the hands of the authorities and those incarcerated without trial.
• the government apologises to the EO6 and compensates them for wrongfully and baselessly detaining them for 30 days.
• the government dumps the Peaceful Assembly Bill.
• Amanah comes to life and does more than give nice speeches.
• we will finally see the peaceful and just society we all crave.
Rakyat — over to you to add to the list.
Dare I dream that in 2012, Sivarasa, Haris, Chin Huat and I will be able to attend the Sarawak Rainforest Music Festival?
Happy New Year to all!
* The views expressed here are the personal opinion of the columnist.