‘Avengers’ to return to big screen in sequel
LOS ANGELES, May 9 — The runaway success of “The Avengers” movie has landed the crime-fighting Marvel superhero team a return date to the cinemas.
Hot off the movie’s record-setting debut, Walt Disney Co said yesterday an “Avengers” sequel was in the works, though no release date is set.
The movie debuted with a staggering US$207.4 million (RM630 million) from US and Canadian cinemas over the weekend, the biggest debut in film history. Worldwide, the film has pulled in US$702.2 million.
The film unites Marvel superheroes including Iron Man, Black Widow, Thor and The Hulk in a battle against a villain out to destroy the Earth. Stars include Robert Downey Jr and Scarlett Johansson.
The second “Avengers” movie will follow a previously announced “Thor” and “Iron Man” sequels coming in 2013 and a new “Captain America” movie in 2014, Disney chief executive Bob Iger told industry analysts.
“Eventually, (on) a date to be determined, you’ll see a sequel to ‘Avengers’,” Iger said. — Reuters