Showbiz

HBO drama ‘Luck’ halted after deaths of horses

March 15, 2012
Latest Update: March 15, 2012 05:41 pm

Cast members Nick Nolte (L) and Dustin Hoffman attend the panel for HBO television series ''Luck'' at the Television Critics Association winter press tour in Pasadena, California in this January 13, 2012 file photo. — Reuters picCast members Nick Nolte (L) and Dustin Hoffman attend the panel for HBO television series ''Luck'' at the Television Critics Association winter press tour in Pasadena, California in this January 13, 2012 file photo. — Reuters picLOS ANGELES, March 15 — HBO said on Wednesday that production of critically acclaimed horse racing drama series "Luck" had been stopped after the deaths of three horses.

"It is with heartbreak that executive producers David Milch and Michael Mann together with HBO have decided to cease all future production on the series "Luck", the cable TV network said in a statement.

"While we maintained the highest safety standards possible, accidents unfortunately happen and it is impossible to guarantee they won't in the future. Accordingly, we have reached this difficult decision," HBO said.

Two horses died during filming of the first season, which began broadcasting in January. A third died earlier this week during filming for the second season.

"Luck", starring Dustin Hoffman, is the story of colourful characters involved in the world of horseracing and much of the show is filmed on location at the Santa Anita Park in southern California. — Reuters

Showbiz Channel