TV’s Simon Cowell in break-in ‘horror’
LONDON, March 26 — A woman suspected of breaking into the home of television entrepreneur Simon Cowell, reportedly armed with a brick, is due to appear in court today.
Cowell, the music mogul turned TV producer who created “The X Factor” talent show programme that airs in both Britain and the United States, was confronted by the intruder late on Saturday at his home in west London, police said.
“There was a loud bang and Simon rushed upstairs to find out what was going on,” Cowell’s spokesman Max Clifford told the Sun newspaper. “It came from the bathroom so he went in — and there was a woman standing there holding a brick.
“It was very frightening for Simon, who told me it was like something from a horror movie.”
Cowell’s “on-site security team” turned up and detained the woman until police showed up, according to the Sun.
Police said nothing had been taken, and unnamed sources told the paper it was thought the woman was an over-zealous fan. Security at Cowell’s home, worth an estimated £9 million (RM43.5 million), was now being stepped up, the Sun said.
London’s Metropolitan Police said Leanne Zaloumis, 29, would appear at West London magistrates’ court today charged with one count of aggravated burglary.
To add to Cowell’s weekend woes, newspapers reported that his latest TV show “Britain’s Got Talent” had been beaten in viewer ratings on Saturday night by the new BBC talent show “The Voice”. — Reuters