Say what, PM? — Lucius Goon
JUNE 2 — Does Najib Razak really listen to himself? Or does he just read a speech and love the bluster.
He was at his Umno best today at the Yang di-Pertuan Agong’s birthday, threatening to crush anyone who threatened law and order (just for clarification, he was not talking about the million illegals in Sabah who pose a law and order threat or the foreigners being given documents so that they can vote in Selangor but I suspect his ire was directed at Pakatan Rakyat and Bersih).
One line in his speech caught my attention: the ends must never justify the means, said Najib.
That is a good joke coming from the prime minister who has watched/encouraged/stayed silent as:
1) Perkasa/Pekida and other thugs encouraged by Umno have started a wave of violence against political opponents and Malaysians who don’t support the current regime.
2) Mat Rempits and other groups are funded and encouraged to beat up and harass anyone identified as a threat by the BN government. Ambiga Sreenevasan, Nurul Izzah and Lim Guan Eng come to mind.
3) The cops abused their power and strength to fire upon and assault citizens of this country on April 28. Where were you then, Mr PM?
4) A systematic campaign of defrauding the electoral system by padding up the voter register with foreigners. And we are having a discussion about the ends never justifying the means.
If my memory serves me correctly, Najib famously declared that Putrajaya must be defended come what may. And he has spoken that same desperate message to silat groups, Pekida and other unsavoury groups.
So Najib, I think you have lost your right to dish out advice.
* Lucius Goon reads The Malaysian Insider.
* This is the personal opinion of the writer or publication and does not necessarily represent the views of The Malaysian Insider.